Bait Al Amanah published a new policy paper titled ‘From Pandemic to Endemic: Path towards Normalisation, authored by Abel Benjamin Lim, Fariq Sazuki (Economists of Bait Al Amanah) and Dr. Abdul Razak Ahmad (Founding Director of Bait Al Amanah).
The main findings and recommendations of the paper are as follows:
• The background to Malaysia’s slow recovery leads to the need for a recovery strategy towards endemic, a mode of preparation to live with in the long run
• Visualising an endemic roadmap based on international good practices serves as a guide to develop Malaysia’s way forward to coexist with the virus.
• Malaysia requires a recalibration in its mindset and direction in dealing with COVID-19 to accept that this virus is endemic.
• Policymakers should not rely on lockdowns as long-term solution, but lockdown free approaches based on science and clear communication should be key in moving forward.
• Economy reopening should not be postponed any longer – the recovery of economy and health should occur together, not at the expense of the other.
The full policy paper is attached below: